Some homeowners in Fayetteville, NC, never pay attention to their electrical wiring unless faced with an electrical emergency. Faulty electrical wiring is one of the leading causes of frequent domestic fires. Here are common signs that may tell you it’s time to rewire your house.
Sometimes you may notice a burning smell but won’t be able to identify the source. This may be as a result of burning wires under the floor or behind your walls. This occurs when you have a faulty wiring system or loose connections near an outlet.
If the smell persists for a long time, contact the best electrical services company in Fayetteville to inspect your home. A sparking wire may burn its plastic coating, and you should always address this issue as fast as possible. This is because the sparks may start a domestic fire, which can result in huge losses.
Electrical setup is not usually the leading cause of dimming or flickering lights unless in rare scenarios. The problem often escalates from merging major home appliances with the same circuit. Bulbs brighten up when they receive too much voltage and dim when they receive little energy.
Most homeowners assume that the light bulb is the problem, although the actual problem corresponds with faulty circuits and wiring. Remember to consult an electrician if you notice the lights dimming each time you turn on the washing machine or the dishwasher.
Presence of Sparks in Outlets
Sparks coming from outlets are normal and should not make you live with tension. However, if the sparks remain persistent for an extended period, it can be a sign of a potentially dangerous problem. If your electric outlets have a short-circuit, it implies that the outlet has excessive heat, causing the outlet to melt.
If the wires are open, the sparks can result in electrical fires, causing massive distraction. Remember, if the flashes are coming from a breaker panel, do not hesitate to call an electrician to inspect your home.
Tripping Circuit Breakers
The purpose of a circuit breaker is to cut off electric current when the circuit surpasses the number of amps allowed. Besides that, circuit breakers help protect your home from electrical fires caused by dangerous surges.
However, if the circuit breaker trips more often, it can be a worrying sign that there is a dangerous problem with your wiring. In some scenarios, regular tripping may be a sign of an overworking electrical system that can result in electrical fires. In case the tripping persists, it is advisable to get in touch with an electrical company to have the problem resolved.
Discolored Switches and Outlets
Outlets may appear discolored because of degraded wiring and loose wiring connections. The loose wiring connections may result to spark formation that warp and singe switches and electric outlets.
It’s good to know that if you don’t solve the problem, the degradation grows worse over time and the issues become more prominent. Remember, many domestic fires start because of electrical problems. When you notice a discolored switch or outlet, remember to contact an electrician immediately to solve the problem.
Your House Is Old
Outdated wiring is one of the leading causes of electrical problems in most homes in Fayetteville, as most houses are over 30 years old. When the wiring ages, it may break down or degrade, resulting in all kinds of electrical issues. Furthermore, wires used in the older lineage were not as safe as modern wiring and are prone to many electrical problems.
Generally, older wires cannot handle the current power demands. If you have an old home and have never thought of updating your electrical wiring, it may be time to think about it. Equipping your home with modern installation enhances your home’s safety, and at the same time, improves efficiency.
Contact Cape Fear Air Conditioning today to understand more about when you should consider rewiring your home. Our professional and experienced technicians will work diligently to determine the installation, repairs and services you need.
Image provided by iStock